Investing in a high quality 9mm cleaning kit is a very important, and often overlooked, way to keep your pistol running smoothly, and without mishap. Every time your pistol is fired carbon deposits are built up along the inside of your barrel, along with lead and copper from bullets. This could potentially cause some major problems, and even cause injury to the shooter. Misfires, poor accuracy, and bullet velocity are just a few of the problems that can occur over time.
A 9mm gun cleaning kit will get your pistol back to it’s original glory days, and the best pistol cleaning kit will make it simple.
It is important to beware of cheap, generic cleaning kits. Many times they will not be made with the quality needed to really clean and oil your pistol correctly, and even damage your firearm permanently. I have a few hunting buddies that barely clean their guns, and I won’t even shoot them. Even though they are my friends, I do think they take firearm safety a bit lightly.
Since there are so many choices, I thought it would be helpful to break them down a bit, and give you the four best choices on the market right now. Most 9mm pistol cleaning kits offer more than just one bore size for cleaning, and if you have several different firearms then that is going to be the better option. There is a few things to guide your decision, and those are; price, portability, tools included, and overall quality.
- Price: Pistol cleaning kits for the 9mm vary in price from around ten dollars, all the way up to fifty or more. Now, you do not have to spend an arm and a leg for a kit for only one firearm size, but if you have multiple firearms, it is a good idea to have a variety of cleaning tools in your kit. Price does often reflect quality of product, but can also reflect having a certain name attached to the kit. Often times finding a good, quality kit for a decent price comes from the mouth of a friend. Ask around, and see what your buddies use for their pistol if you are having trouble deciding.
- Portability: One of the main reasons for buying a cleaning kit for a 9mm handgun is to have portability. Most gun owners have cleaning supplies at home to clean their guns, but if they are anything like myself they have them spread about in different spots, and sometimes I can’t even find the brush I need. Having a kit can put an end to that, as most come in a sleek carrying case that is around the size of a lunchbox or a little bigger. Being able to clean your firearm whenever, and wherever is a great relief to many gun owners.
- Tools Included: Any good Glock cleaning kit is going to provide all the tools you need to complete the task. The only reason I have this on here is because, believe it or not, I bought a kit a few years back that was not complete. It had all the brushes and rod for cleaning, but no detergent, solvent, or oil. Trust me when I say you do not want to get into cleaning your gun to find out you have to leave it apart to go get these things. Make sure the kit you choose has all the tools you need to finish.
- Overall Quality: Everything in your 9mm cleaning kit should be made with high standards. The companies I chose are known for this, and will leave your gun looking, and more importantly, shooting like new. If you decide to go rogue, and pick your own kit, make sure it stands up in quality. Using a poorly made cleaning kit can actually leave your pistol worse off than it was before you cleaned it. The easiest way to find out is to ask around. Friends, gunsmiths, and outdoor experts will all point you in the right direction.
The Best 9mm Gun Cleaning Kits
To find the best 9mm cleaning kits, I asked around, scoured the internet, and used my own expertise. These four are not the only excellent cleaning kits available, but if you are lost in trying to find one on your own, these will perform at the highest standard. Without further discussion here are the best gun cleaning kits for the 9mm.
Definitely very practical kit, and one of the best on the market. The portability of this 9mm gun cleaning kit is fantastic, and carries with it everything you need to clean your gun. It can be used on a few different pistols, giving it versatility if you need it. It does not come with the rod, but with a snake that is used in it’s place, which many people find easier to use.
For the price it would be nice to have a little more cleaner and oil as the containers are only 4oz. A simple solution to this is to buy bigger jugs of both, and use them to fill the smaller containers in the kit. That keeps your kit portable, which is one of the major benefits of having a cleaning kit in the first place.
Some users do not like the snake, and prefer a rod instead because it seems to get the barrel cleaner. Much of this is more personal preference than anything else as this kit is made for law enforcement and military. The cleaning solution and oil are both low odor and work great on your firearms. This pistol cleaning kit delivers the goods, but costs more than many other kits.
- Bore snake easier to use than rod
- High quality cleaner
- High quality oil
- Nylon utility brush
- Comes in a compact case
- Can be used on several different pistol styles
- Easy to use
- Oil does not weep when stored
- Comes with a soft, lint free cloth
- Very small bottles of oil and cleaning solution
- Snake is not as thorough as a rod cleaner
- A bit high priced
- Helps to properly maintain your weapon
- Lint free cleaning cloth
- Removes unwanted Copper and lead fouling from the barrel
This 9mm gun cleaning kit is not as popular as some others, but if you really care about your firearms, this is the kit to get. This is one of the most thorough portable systems I have ever seen, and the quality of the materials are great. It is truly amazing how much stuff is packed into this kit.
The solvent in this kit acts as a cleaner, grease, and a protector all in one. The patches work on several different firearms, changing the way it is put into the pistol is the a unique way of keeping waste down. This also creates problems for some users because folding the patches a certain way to make them fit becomes time consuming for some. The patches are excellent once you figure them out. They remove debris left over from square patches, and can be used multiple times.
The flex rods are solid, and all brushes and tips are brass. This kit is a little more expensive for a reason, and the reason is quality of product. It comes with a nice selection of picks and punches, and all of this fits into a bag the size of a fly-rod reel. This is one of the best, but often overlooked, handgun cleaning kits.
- Three memory flex cleaning rods
- 30 caliber tip
- Nato adapter
- Panoply patches
- T-handle remover
- Brass brushes and tips
- Incredibly compact
- Lightweight as
- Can be worn on belt
- Specialized tools for cleaning every part of your gun
- Versatile as
- Several caliber sizes
- Patches are reusable
- System takes a little while to learn
- Packing it back into the case can take time
- Cleans .38cal/9mm-.45cal pistols with 100% cotton panoply patches and large slotted tip
- .38cal/9mm & .45cal bore brushes with size marked on brush stem
- 8", 12" & 20" aircraft grade Memory-Flex® cables for proper Breech-to-Muzzle® cleaning (8"...
This is a great 9mm gun cleaning kit for most everyday shooters. It comes from a name trusted in the gun cleaning market. It comes with all the things you need to clean your firearm on the go; patches, rod, brush, liquid cleaner, lubricant, etc.
This kit comes at a fair price, and does the job well. You might need to buy a bigger jug of cleaning and lubricating liquid though, because the bottles that come with it are only enough to clean your gun two, maybe three times. Hoppe’s makes great products, but this kit is really made for the people who do not shoot there pistol on a regular basis.
If you are planning on buying this 9mm pistol cleaning kit for the ease of storage…don’t. The case is remarkably cheap, thin plastic, and does not hold up very long even with gentle use. The plastic tab that latches the case breaks very easily, essentially canceling the storage capabilities of this kit.
- Priced right
- Solvent and oil included
- Can be used for three different calibrated firearms
- Brushes and rod
- Cleaning patches
- Portable as
- Patches are very absorbent
- Fits in a small carrying case
- The cleaning solution is some of the best on the market
- The lubricating oil is top-notch
- Plastic case is cheap
- Clip that holds case closed breaks easily
- Very small bottles of cleaning and lubricating solutions
- The cleaning rod could be a bit more durable
- 2oz bottle Hoppe's NO. 9 Solvent
- 2.25 Hoppe's lubricating oil
- 40 uniformly woven square gun cleaning patches
This is a great kit for the range. It does not have everything you need to keep your gun in top running order, but is great for on the go. It is one of the best handgun cleaning kits as far as portability is concerned. The case is very sturdy, and can take a beating, whether it’s in the back of your truck, or in your gear bag getting knocked around.
The price is also right for what you get. Everything is made with quality materials, and it comes with a lifetime warranty so if anything breaks the company will replace it. Speaking of customer service, this company really goes the extra mile to make sure you are happy.
One downfall is that it does not come with any cleaning solvent or lubricating oil, but they do not say this so it’s not like it is false advertising. When I thought about this further, I saw that many complaints about other kits I researched were due to the super small size of the cleaning and oil bottles. So this company just by-passed that, knowing you would have to buy bigger bottles soon after getting the kit.
- Durable case
- Very portable
- Lifetime warrant
- Excellent customer service
- Quality rod and brushes
- Multi-use hand tool that converts to a driver
- Six piece utility set
- Pull-through coated cable/rod system
- Brush, mop, and slot tip
- Space underneath tools to store oil/solvent
- No cleaning solution included
- No oil included
- Threads on rod are easy to strip
- Custom Cased Kit
- Fits well in pack or range bag
- Includes everything needed to clean weapon
Our Favorite 9mm Cleaning Kit
These 9mm cleaning kits vary greatly in price, and what kind of use you need them for. The best pistol cleaning kit should include all the necessities, have durability, and be made of quality product all at a fair price. The best pistol cleaning kit for you as an individual will depend on your needs, and usage. If you only shoot a few times a month or less, than you don’t need some top shelf, fancy kit unless you want it. For all purposes, and situations, I find that the Otis Professional is one of the best kits you can get. It is a little more expensive than some of the others, but it is worth every penny. The M-Pro 7 ranks high in my opinion too, and the Tac Shield could have possibly been number one if it had solvent/oil included. We hope this review helps to get you to a decision.
Price incl. tax, excl. shipping/ Affiliate links / Images from Amazon Product Advertising API